Monday, June 29, 2020


     Rugged Individualism.  Grit.  Determination.


Our country is seeped in these attitudes, and they served us well growing a young nation.  Clearing lands, pushing the frontier boundaries from one coast to the other, becoming a world power.  (Never mind that the First People were here already, and these principles didn’t work so well for them, but I digress.)

I see these traits of strength also have a great deal of selfishness woven into them.  In this moment in history, our selfishness clothed in bravado of ‘You can’t make me’, ‘Just Do It’ or ‘I want . . .’ might be our undoing.  We can’t apply known mantras to an unseen and unknown enemy such as the COVID virus. 

I totally understand needing both public health and financial livelihood, and appreciate that tremendous balancing act and its extremely difficult decisions. 
I don’t understand the throngs of people going to crowded bars, restaurants, beaches and public events.  Or maybe I understand all too well that our national identity of rugged individualism is betraying us.  

I beg us to put aside ‘me first’ and look out for the needs of others and the common good.  Ultimately, I believe it will be best for our own welfare as well as that of everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

     Rugged Individualism.  Grit.  Determination. Our country is seeped in these attitudes, and they served us well growing a young ...