Monday, June 8, 2020


I was sitting on my patio pondering what to write next for the blog.  Cute or light-hearted wasn’t appropriate.  Dirge-like somberness didn’t feel right either.  When I flipped open my notebook to start writing, or more likely to stare at the blank page, it opened to a piece I had written as an exercise with my writing group in January.  The writing prompt was ‘My dreams for 2020’.                
These words are exactly what my heart wants to say today. 

My dreams for 2020 is the world to become a kinder, more accepting world.  I pray to God that the year ends preparing for a change in presidency.  Dreams . . . with hope for reality.
I don’t know what it will take for our communities, our country and the world to be able to see the ‘other’ as an opportunity to learn and grow.  To hear a call for generosity of provision and goodwill. 
I just know I dream for the fear and animosity toward anyone different from ourselves to end.  I pray and dream for a recognition of the value of each life and an end to the loss of life and limb from violence.  Whether shootings or reckless driving or domestic abuse.  I dream about my role in helping to bring about tolerance, security and safety for those in my neighborhoods and those on the other side of the world.  Do our words make an impact?  Yes! And Yes! Let it be so. 

January 2020 is very far back in the rearview mirror.  I know that words alone will not bring about an end to systemic racism. However, one key initial step is to define the problem.

“Systemic racism is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutionalizations.  It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, human concerns, political power and education, among other factors.”  Wikipedia.

Ok, I don’t love the source, but this was actually the clearest, most concise definition I found.  I believe we can easily read and understand this statement to help us answer the question, “Does systemic racism happen in our country?  In our state, in our communities?”  No side arguments.  You know, the ones to get the topic off track.  We need to answer the question with a simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. 
We all need to sit with our answer for a while and ponder where our answer will lead us.  It might lead us to:

  • Donate to a cause such as Southern Poverty Law Center. 
  • Start a book group. I am going to read “Their Eyes Were Watching God” by Zora Neal Hurston and discuss with my daughters and friends. 
  • Read Langston Hughes and other prolific authors of the Harlem Renaissance. 
  • Teach our children about great people of color such as Frederick Douglass, W.E.B duBois, Sojourner Truth, Toussaint Loverture.  Names not as familiar as Martin Luther King, but each a profound contributor to the fight for civil rights and equality. 
  • Start the uncomfortable conversations with our family and friends. 
  • Vow to end our silence. Raise our voice in a peaceful protest or in a letter to elected officials demanding real and lasting changes to ensure safety and equal rights for all.  
I’m rolling up my sleeves and going to work.  I hope you are, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

     Rugged Individualism.  Grit.  Determination. Our country is seeped in these attitudes, and they served us well growing a young ...