Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The real, the reasonable and the ridiculous ramblings


In one of the first blogs I had promised to sometimes share the ridiculous and to invite you along as I laugh at myself.  Lord knows, when you are an awkward nerd like me there is no shortage of material.  And perhaps we all need a good laugh right about now. 

In a nice pairing with a recent dilemma in which we pondered whether red or white wine goes best with PB no J on toast, I present the mystery of the little Black Box.  I had recently gone to a gas station/convenience store for a few staples.   You know, the one with the great bathrooms and Karuba coffee.  Nice people, adequately stocked with the basics (although I did not check out the toilet paper so can’t help you there), and well set up to get in and out quickly with not a lot of other people getting in your airspace.

By basics, I mean milk, bread, a few pieces of fruit, a Lindt chocolate and a little Black Box of Cabernet Sauvignon. For those unaware of this little jewel, it is a 500 ml pouch-like container of wine.  When I opened it later that evening getting ready for a Zoom writing group, I did not see an inner white seal I thought it would have.  I hadn’t paid attention when opening to whether it had made the distinct click of a sealed container.   Had it been opened already?  Did somebody mess with the inventory or did someone pull a malicious prank?  In light of our current health crisis, my first thought was that somebody might have slipped something in there and I would NOT be safer at home!  Darn, my writing group soon and no red wine.  Life is hard.

The next challenge was how to rectify this problem.  Do I take my little Black Box up to the counter and say, “Somebody opened my wine”?  To which they would answer in their head, “You did, you crazy old lady.”  Uh.  No thank you.  I bought another little Black Box and paid careful attention to the opening and packaging.  I am happy to report it does not have that little white seal and it pairs well with crazy cat ladies and Zoom video chats.

I had also previously written about this week in spring when God falls head over heels in love with His creation.  Not that He (or She) isn’t always, but this display of new life all around us is especially magnificent.  A tree in fully bloom, heavy with fat white flowers.  Another laden with delicate fuchsia colored blossoms.  Pinks, purples, whites and yellows of daffodils and hyacinth.  Precious gifts, each one.

Yes, life is hard right now.  And not because of wonky little boxes of wine.  That is the ridiculous.  But the real and reasonable thing is that there is beauty and joy all around us.  Sometimes we have to search for it, sometimes it is right in front of us if we open our eyes to it.  Sometimes it offers only a fleeting moment of release from the challenges of life, but sometimes it can brighten the whole rest of the day.  

Seek and you will find, I promise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

     Rugged Individualism.  Grit.  Determination. Our country is seeped in these attitudes, and they served us well growing a young ...