Thursday, May 28, 2020


“Who was justice for the poor, who was rage against the night?” *

Over 100,000 dead
The naysayers scoffed
That will never happen
Lifetimes edited into brief litanies
Veterans, coaches,
         nurses, children,
princes and paupers
the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker.
Over 100,00 dead

Those that ran toward danger and into the arms of death
A 100 year-old man whose brother died in the last Pandemic
You know, the one we should have learned from
Instead Spanish flu and Corona virus
       orchestrate a family reunion

But this damn virus killing us off isn’t enough
We have to kill each other?

We kneel on George’s neck
We proclaim ourselves judge and jury

We shoot Ahmaud
We are silent, we are complicit

We know the poor and persons of color are dying more
We are silent, we are complicit.

Nice people don’t go there.  Don’t talk about that.

I don’t want to be nice anymore.
I want to hold George’s sister
And Ahmaud’s mother
And tell them I’m sorry.
I’m so, so very sorry.

‘I want to be justice for the poor,
I want to be rage against the night.
I want to be hope for peaceful people
I want to be light.’ *
*Anthem” by Tom Conry adapted

No comments:

Post a Comment

     Rugged Individualism.  Grit.  Determination. Our country is seeped in these attitudes, and they served us well growing a young ...